Painted Paper Mosaic Tutorial

Several people asked me how I made this mosaic, so I thought I would show you through a tutorial. 


Painted Paper Mosaic Tutorial

Here is the colorful painted paper mosaic that I made last night!



1.  Gather a pile of colorful painted scraps.

2.  Cut out shapes of different kinds and glue them as close together as possible.  Try to cut and place them so that they fill in the space without major gaps. It's like putting together a puzzle!

Cut out more and more shapes from scrapbook papers, other patterned papers, painted scraps you have lying in your stash and fill your page.

Here is the page full of cut and pasted shapes.


3.  Fill in any remaining spaces with watercolor paints, colored pencils or markers.  I made sure to leave small outlines of white between the shapes.

4.  Another way to add details and embellishment is to take a white-out pen and draw on top of the shapes.  I added dots and doodles.




Here is the finished artwork again:
 


21 comments

K J D said...

Wow... these are both so beautiful. What a clever idea.

Karenx ps much more colourful than black and white!!!!!

Unknown said...

Love this, and what a great way to use up those itty bitty pieces of paper that seem too small to save!

Chandra Merod said...

Wow!!!! Thanks for sharing this, looks like fun :) will try it soon.
Chandra

Unknown said...

That's pretty awesome I really like your tutorial, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that so beautiful!!

Debbie said...

very pretty! thanks for sharing the process!

Lynn Holland said...

This is a great tutorial for the beginners at SKETCHBOOK FRIENDS. I'll link it across.
Thanks for sharing it.
Lynn
www.sketchbookfriends.blogspot.co.uk

Conelmate said...

Amazing colors!

Unknown said...

OMG...talk about gorgeous! You did an amazing job on all of these creations!

Marcia Beckett said...

Thanks so much for all your compliments. I think I have found a new style I love to make!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial Marcia, these are delightful! Got my copy of Kolaj by the way, thanks for sharing the link, it is quite fascinating, have you submitted! xox

Dani - Diane - ATA Girls said...

What fun - and so creative! Thanks for sharing. Joining from Inspire Me Monday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

dandelion dreamer said...

what a delicious way to use all those gorgeous papers!

Anonymous said...

Visiting from AEDM...and I really like this! I'm always looking for creative things to do with my scraps, and this is so pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

VivJM said...

What a fun and vibrant collage. Thanks for sharing the process!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Such a fabulous idea. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing! :)

Marit said...

Very inspiring Marcia! I love your mosaics!

Nilla said...

Fabulous ide! Thanks for sharing! Love Nilla

pivoine77 said...

love these mosaics !

halohill.blogspot.com said...

Gorgeous! I love these! Thank you for the inspiration. :)

Sheila
Oregon

JPB said...

I love it.. Looks like so much fun to do.. adding it to my list of inspiration from artists. thank you...